Friday, October 17, 2008

Since taking this class, I’ve noticed a lot of old styles and their influences floating around today. This thought first struck me when I came across a flyer with a very Victorian look (i.e.: 10 different, loud fonts) hanging on a bulletin board. *Picture to come* Then there is an Art Deco look to some of the newer buildings downtown, such as the Millennium Hotel.

I also can’t help comparing fashions with those styles, or thinking in those terms.  Like Art-Nouveau-type thinking, and its decorative curvilinear forms, added to jazz up everyday objects into a work of art. Does a belt on a swimsuit really make sense as long as it looks good? (I say no, but to each his own…) 

Of course, I’ll also be very aware of the Arts and Crafts Movement’s legacy as well, for craft fair season is almost here, and hand-made items will always be appreciated.

No comments: