Sunday, October 5, 2008

Washington University Library Visit

The trip to Wash U's library to see, in person, some of the illuminated manuscripts and other early books we have been learning about in class was a great experience. The difference between seeing the photographs of these books on powerpoint slides and being able to literally page through them is huge. You really gain more of an appreciation for how groundbreaking they were at the time they were created. It was interesting to see the different design styles and techniques used. The books were impressive and you could see why some of them were worth as much as a small farm in that time period. It must of been an exhausting process to produce the books. That's one thing I kept thinking to myself while looking through them. 

My favorite display was the contemporary book designs. I'm a "book nerd" so I thought it was interesting to see the many different ways books can be designed. It also got me thinking about how I would go about book design if I ever published one of my own. 

The experience of seeing these various books up close and personal has made me appreciate them more. 

- Jason

No comments: